We provide education programs designed to inform and empower women as they approach the birth of their baby, and during the weeks following the birth.
The class is facilitated by an experienced Midwife who delivers a structured program, but also diversifies to fit with individual needs. The group structure provides parents with the opportunity to intermingle with others and forge, in some cases, lifelong friendships.
Over the course of the program a variety of topics will be covered. These include:
- Your changing body
- Labour positions
- Pain relief options
- Birthing positions
- Vaginal births
- Operative births
- What to expect in the first hours and days following birth
- Techniques in breastfeeding and choice of formula, if you choose to bottle feed
- Bathing demonstration (we try to use a baby, but when this is not an option, a doll will be utilized)
- Parentcraft (including settling techniques)
- Tour of the Birth Suites, special care, rooms and baby bathing area
The Antenatal Education Class is held on a Saturday, from 8:30am - 2:30pm.
We recommended attending classes between 30 and 34 weeks.
Bookings are essential to attend these sessions.
As you approach the birth of your child, it is time to think about making a pre-admission appointment with the Women’s Unit. All mothers giving birth at the Mater Private Hospital Townsville must attend an antenatal pre-admission appointment, and it should be booked at 30 weeks.
The appointment at 35 weeks is with a Midwife and takes about 45 minutes. Your completed Admission Profile Form should be brought along to the appointment.
Appointments are available every Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00am and 4:00pm.
Phone appointments are available if needed.
Physiotherapy antenatal education is offered once per month on a Wednesday, along with the Breastfeeding/ Lactation education.
Discussion topics and advice include:
- Keeping active during pregnancy
- Physiological changes to your body (heart rate, hormones, blood pressure etc)
- Types of exercise to consider (e.g. low impact)
- Returning to exercise
- Care of your pelvic floor (strength, endurance)
- Care of your abdominal muscles, posture and back care, positioning during labour and birth
- Continence advice
- Postnatal review recommendations
For further information please contact:
Our Post Natal Clinic is a free service offering professional support and education for parents of babies from seven days to four weeks . The Clinic is run by qualified and experienced Midwives.
This Clinic offers a variety of services including:
- Weigh clinics
- New baby appointments
- Developmental assessments
- Breastfeeding support
- Post natal assessment