If you have difficulty getting to sleep, or staying asleep; if you snore, or if you are very tired during the day, you may benefit from a sleep physician review and a sleep study.
An Overnight Sleep Study (or Polysomnogram) involves the monitoring of a patient’s sleep, breathing and movement patterns throughout the night. It is a non-invasive procedure that causes no pain or discomfort.
Prior to going to sleep, various sensors and electrodes are placed on various parts of your body. These are kept in place with tapes and paste. Video monitoring also takes place . Trained sleep technologists prepare and monitor you during the sleep study.
Experienced Physicians can assist with any sleep problems including:
- Sleep related breathing disorders
- Central sleep apnoea syndromes
- Sleep related hypoventilation
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA)
- Insomnia and tiredness
- Restless sleep
- Sleep walking
- Night terrors
- Body rocking
Mater has experienced Sleep Physicians who are able to review all patients and report the Sleep Study. You will need a referral from your General Practitioner or Specialist.
When you arrive
On the day of your Sleep Study, please check in to the Admissions Desk at 8:00pm.
A staff member will escort you to the Sleep Unit. All patients undergoing a sleep study are accommodated in a private room.
What to bring
- Change of clothes for the following day
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Medications in original packages
- CPAP machine and mask if having a a reveiew of OSA
- Your own pillow for your comfort (hospital pillows are available)
Mater Private Hospital Townsville
25 Fullham Road, Pimlico
(07) 4727 4104